Thursday 14 March 2013

Charlotte Rhead - Fakes!

Politely called 'reproductions', these tasteless little horrors to my mind are obviously meant to deceive (I think the backstamps prove this as they are a mixture of 'Crown Ducal' marks and 'Bursley Ware' signatures) and are thus out and out fakes. Stylistically they bear little resemblance to Charlotte Rhead's original designs. They sometimes appear on a well known online auction site - the two pieces below were spotted recently, the vase being sold as genuine and the jug as 'reproduction'. I've seen pieces sell for as much as £100 which is quite staggering. Sellers always seem to have an excuse when challenged and requests to remove the listings seem to be ignored by the auction sites or they state that they are only acting as agents in an attempt to dodge the issue. I don't often use my blog as a 'soapbox', but I do feel strongly about these monstrosities!

Fake 'Charlotte Rhead' vase

Fake 'Charlotte Rhead' jug


Fake 'Charlotte Rhead' marks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.